Pokemon Go sweeps the nation

The latest app fad has players trying to catch ’em all

BluePrint News

Tori Mauk

Pokemon Go challenges its players to catch ’em all.

Julian Bartlebaugh, Staff Writer

The revolutionary game that rewards players for exercising, rated 7/10 by IGN – the leading Internet media company focused on the video game and entertainment enthusiast markets – is Pokemon Go, the game that changed kids last summer.

Pokémon go is among the most downloaded games of all time and has grossed $400 million in sales.

Everyone is playing this game because throughout most people’s childhood Pokémon was a game or TV show, and this game brings Pokémon as close to reality as possible. The Pokémon game came out in 1996 followed by the show next year in 1997. The game came out on Gameboy in 1998.

Pokémon is the most successful mobile launch in history.

It’s become so popular that even kids who don’t necessarily want it are playing it.

“Because I was forced to get it,” said freshman Caelan Mills when asked why he plays. “When my parents played it they would stop everywhere to catch them, so I got it to have something to do.”

I’ve met a lot of different people because basically everyone on earth plays it.

— Ben Eamigh

Some people, like B-A sophomore Ben Eamigh, said Pokemon Go allows them to be social.

“I’ve met a lot of different people because basically everyone on earth plays it,” he said.

Although Pokémon is one of the most successful franchises in history, Pokémon Go has caused some problems. Pokémon go has caused accidents and even death because some players don’t pay attention. There are reports of players falling off cliffs because they wondered off the path.

There were also reports of people getting robbed and deadly hit and runs. Others trespass on other people’s property to catch Pokémon therefor facing breaking and entering. There are many incidents of car crashes and hit and runs.

“I spend a decent amount of time on my phone playing the game,” said senior Tanner Umbower.

Ben recalled a time he was “in a parking lot at 3 a.m.” playing the game.

All in all the game has a great concept behind it made by Niantic just like Ingress, which had about the same concept. The game is revolutionary for the future of gaming, but still has some bugs that need to be fixed.

“There is no better game out there,” said freshman Madison Bungo.