Bellwod-Antis High School kicks off the Challenge Program

Courtesy photo

Pictured are the 2015/2016 Underclassmen Award Winners. L to R Back row: Abigail Luensmann (Attendance), Madison Miller (Community Service), Tyler Long (Attendance), Business Partner – Jillian Pirro (M&T Bank) L to R Front Row: Beau Potter (Academic Improvement), Josh Stevens (STEM), Kyra Woomer (Community Service), Payge Heater (STEM)

Corey Johnston, Staff Writer

Bellwood-Antis High School started up the Challenge Program for the 2016-2017 school year at an assembly late last month.

The Challenge Program’s goal is to introduce students to careers in their community’s and to motivate students to develop solid work habits required to succeed in school and in their future careers.

High School Principal Richard Schreier said the Challenge Program has many benefits.

It’s an end-of-the-year type of incentive where kids don’t have to get straight A’s to get rewarded.

— Mr. Schreier

“It’s an end-of-the-year type of incentive where kids don’t have to get straight A’s to get rewarded,” he said. “It’s as simple as being at school every day, and if you have perfect attendance or are most Academically Improved, it’s possible you could win $200 in cash.

“There’s that motivation of someone dangling that little carrot in front of you, and you just want to grab it and take it.”

The assembly had an Olympic-trial based theme that demonstrated the interview screening process to help students qualify for success. Sophomores, juniors, and seniors were introduced to local career opportunities by M&T Bank.

Throughout the year they will be eligible to compete for financial awards in five areas linked with academic and workplace success: Attendance, Academic Improvement, Academic Excellence, STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) and Community Service.

Freshman, who are not eligible for the program, got a first look for their sophomore year when they are able to participate.

Junior Beau Potter received the Academic Improvement award for the 2015-2016 year. When asked about winning Academic Improvement Beau said, “I knew I qualified for it but, I was really surprised to win the award, and it made me feel good about all the hard work I put in.”

Along with Potter several other students were recognized: Abigail Luensmann (Attendance), Madison Miller (Community Service), Tyler Long (Attendance), Josh Stevens (STEM), Kyra Woomer (Community Service), Payge Heater (STEM), Eli Vaglica (Academic Improvement), Devon Zheng (Academic Excellence), and Jacob Miller (Academic Excellence).

The Challenge Program has now reset for the new 2016-2017 school year.