Locker room talk? Not at Bellwood

Sidney Patterson

Those who know at B-A say locker room talk doesn’t exist the way Donald Trump claimed.

Sidney Patterson, Staff Writer

No matter which way you’re voting this November, we can all agree that Presidential Candidate Donald Trump digs a deep hole with the way he speaks about women. For many voters, last week was the last straw.

There was an Access Hollywood video released of Trump from 2005 where he describes all the inappropriate details of his experiences with women while in the spotlight. Trump was recorded using such strong off-color remarks that, when you hear what was actually said on the hot mic, it is no wonder why Hilary has more of the ladies lining up for her at the polls.

When Trump tried to cover up his sexual encounters with women by labeling it as “locker room talk”, there was no more to be said before social media went into flames.

Many celebrities felt the need to express their opinions on Trump’s “locker room” banter, including   NBA star LeBron James.

“We don’t disrespect women in any shape or fashion in our locker room,” LeBron told one media outlet. “What that guy was saying, I don’t know what that is. That’s trash talk.”

So where is the line drawn between locker room talk and the violation of unspoken sexual boundaries?

The Urban Dictionary describes locker room talk as “the crude, vulgar and often sexual trade of comments guys pass to each other, usually in high school locker rooms.”

The premise of this excuse lies within the typical high school locker room, but men old and young who frequent use B-A’s male locker rooms say it’s inaccurate, at least at Bellwood-Antis.

Ethan McGee, one of Bellwood’s well-known triathletes, said he does not participate in locker room talk, nor does he even overhear it from his teammates.

To tell you the truth, I do not hear much if any ‘locker room talk’ at all, and I am in a locker room most of the day between PE classes and sports.

— Mr. Lovrich

“We don’t talk the way Trump portrays it. It’s rarely a topic,” said Ethan. “If you say it and you’re worried people will know, don’t say it.”

Mr. Nick Lovrich, who along with coaching football and track is the high school gym teacher, is somewhat familiar with the locker room setting.

He said foul language and inappropriate talk isn’t tolerated, nor is it an issue.

“To tell you the truth, I do not hear much if any ‘locker room talk’ at all, and I am in a locker room most of the day between PE classes and sports,” he said.  “I bet in the time I have been here at BA – 20 years – I have had to go out and say something one or two times.”

Mrs. Lori Nyman, the female high school gym teacher, is on the same page with Mr. Lovrich.

“No, I don’t really hear any locker room talk,” said Mrs. Nyman. “The girls will sometimes talk about a boy who is ‘cute’ or ‘hot’, but it is never in a cruel or vulgar way.

Mr. Lovrich says inappropriate language affects him because of the nature of his family.

“I am probably pretty sensitive about that so called locker room talk because of having two daughters.  I would not want anyone saying things about them so I would not allow anyone to say anything about someone else’s daughter either,” Mr. Lovrich explained.  “I would I think that our guys are pretty good about that stuff.  Our guys actually have been talking politics in the locker room more than anything else the last few weeks.”

Jason Shade, an offensive/defensive tackle for B-A, took a fairly balanced approach on the content of locker room socializing.

“I think if it’s in private, its okay. Do I think it’s right? No, but he can say what he wants to say,” Jason said. “Trump gave the locker room a bad reputation.”