Students can take the ASVAB next week

Bryce Graham

Students can take the ASVAB on Monday.

Jason Shade, Staff Writer

Monday, November 7, students will be able to take the ASVAB test. The test is a great way to help you determine your future career choices.

The ASVAB Career Exploration Program provides high quality, career exploration and planning materials at no cost to high schools throughout the country. The ASVAB helps students learn about themselves and potential occupations in line with their skills and interests.

They match you with careers that match your interest and skills.

— Mrs. Butler

Most importantly it encourages students to explore a wide variety of careers, rather than limiting their exploration by telling them what they can or should do.

The ASVAB Career Exploration Program helps you to identify, understand, and organize information about your skills, interest, and work-related values; identify suitable occupations to investigate and pursue based on your own skills, interests, and values; and use career information resources to further explore these occupations.

The ASVAB is for all students tenth through twelfth grades, regardless of their after-high-school plan. Bellwood-Antis’ guidance counselor Ms. Butler said, “For any junior who is undecided on their future, the ASVAB test is a great way to find out good career options.”

There are eight ASVAB test areas: general science, arithmetic reasoning, word knowledge, paragraph comprehension, mathematics knowledge, electronics information, auto and shop information, and mechanical comprehension.

The ASVAB scores provide a measure of students’ skills and abilities. The results are reported to students and counselors on the ASVAB Summary results sheet.

“Based on your score, they match you with careers that match your interest and skills, and what branch of military you qualify for,” said Ms. Butler. “After the test there is an interest inventory for you also.”

The ASVAB test is a great way to learn about yourself, and to learn about your career options and opportunities for you within the military and post-secondary schools.