T-shirt brawl

Basketball boosters competing with Tyrone in effort to raise Money for Blair Hope for Families

Bryce Graham

The basketball boosters are selling these t-shirts to support Blair Hope for Families.

Corey Johnston, Staff Writer

A new event is starting this year that the Bellwood-Antis Basketball Booster Club is using to raise money for a local charity.

The Backyard Brawl serves as its platform.

The Bellwood-Antis and Tyrone Area school districts will battle it out in a contest to see who can sell the most t-shirts, with all of the proceeds going to the Blair Hope for Families.

The boosters are hoping fans can buy one and wear it to the BA-Tyrone Basketball game on Friday, December 9 in Tyrone.

The t-shirt sale will take place up through Thursday, December 8, and shirts can be purchased in the Media Center. The cost of the t-shirts is $10.00.

Non-students can purchase their t-shirts at the game or send money to B-A with a student.

Outside of school, basketball players and their parents are selling the shirts to the community.

Doug Sloey, who helped organize the event, said that while Tyrone and Bellwood-Antis are both selling the shirts, the real competition is on the court. Instead, the communities will use their friendly rivalry to support a worthy cause.

“One hundred percent of all money raised will go to providing Christmas gifts to children in Blair County’s foster care system,” said Doug Sloey.

At the game on Friday, there will be raffles and activities throughout the game.

Blair Hope was founded in 2013 as a public charity seeking to raise money and donations in an effort to provide a more typical childhood and family experience for children in the foster care system in Blair County.