Two B-A orators place well at home speech meet

Hornberger places first, McCaulley third

Courtesy photo

Bellwood-Antis hosted a speech meet last week and had two top finishers.

Sidney Patterson, The Lead Editor

Last Friday, Bellwood-Antis High School held one of the last speech meets of the regular season, inviting nine other schools to the district to compete.

Two of B-A’s competitors took home high placings in their categories. Junior Hannah Hornberger took first with her informative piece on cults in South Africa, while Allie McCaulley placed third in prose.

“It’s about a cult in Uganda, the movement for the Restoration of the 10 Commandments of God. They all committed suicide,” said Hornberger.

It feels like my hard work paid off. I feel like I’ll do very well in the future.

— Hannah Hornberger

“It feels like my hard work paid off. I feel like I’ll do very well in the future,” Hornberger continued. “Speech league people are some of the most chill people you will ever meet. It is a very competitive activity and yet you don’t feel like anyone is out to get you; you make really great friendships.”

Hannah went on to say that the true difficulty is interpreting your piece in a way that will put you above the rest of your competitors.

Mrs. Alyssa Cunningham, who co-advises the speech team along with Mrs. Sally Padula,said Hanna’s topic choice was a good one.

“She is an excellent writer and speaker. She also choose a very interesting topic for her speech,” said Mrs. Cunningham.

Mrs. Cunningham said Allie’s topic choice was on target, as well.

“Her speech was based around sensitive issues including both drug and child abuse. She is a naturally talented actress,” Mrs. Cunningham said.

The team has one more district meet, then qualifiers will move on to states and nationals.