Kustaborder, Hornberger take first for speech team

(L to r): Dan Kustaborder and Hannah Hornberger won first in their speech categories at Blacklick Valley, while Jenna Bartlett and Alivia Jacobs took second in duo.

Cazen Cowfer, Staff Writer

Four Bellwood-Antis students placed, with two taking blue ribbons, at a speech meet at Blacklick Valley on Friday.

Sophomore Daniel Kustaboarder placed first in Declamation, while junior Hannah Hornberger placed first in Informative.

“I feel I performed great; however, I think I can improve to compete with higher quality speeches,” said Daniel. “I will be switching to radio announcing for States, but in terms of Districts I would like to provide more passion in my speech.”

Sophomores Jenna Bartlett and Alivia Jacobs placed second in duo.

“I think my students did a great job. It was awesome to see them having fun,” said Mrs. Cunningham, the high school speech adviser.

The goal of most students is to do better each meet by reading the feedback the judges have written on the score sheets from previous meets.

“I think I definitely improved, and it shows because Jenna and I got second place,” said Alivia.

The regular season speech meets are now over, and some speakers will get to go to districts.

The speech team went out with a bang, and increased its membership. There was an average of 20 kids from B-A in multiple categories at the regular season meets.

The entire team will be attending Districts on February 3.