Big Man On Campus: Kamryn Mercer

Junior hopes to leap new heights this season for Lady Blue Devils

Jarrett Taneyhill

Kamryn Mercer is planning to have a big season on the track.

Ethan McGee, Sports Editor

Spring sports are right around the corner as athletes prepare to have a great season ripping up the track, or stroking it on the diamond.

Track athlete Kamryn Mercer is hoping to have a great year, making a big impact in the field for girls track team.

Kamryn takes part in all three jumping events including high jump, long jump, and triple jump.

Mercer has taken up the path of hard work. She scored a handful of points last year for B-A, and showed improvement along the way.

The offseason has been nothing short of a grind for the junior. Training vigorously to become a better athlete and jumper has been Kamryn’s biggest focus.

“I have been constantly training and getting stronger for this season by going to Dorman’s Sport Performance Gym. I am also working on my endurance with running and biking on trails,” said Mercer.

Last year Mercer set a personal-best mark of 4-10 in the high jump and placed second at the prestigious Igloo Invitational behind Tyrone’s Erika Voyzey, who is now jumping for the University of Miami.

She looks to accomplish some big personal goals this season in all three events.

“My goals are to get new personal best in each event, and hopefully get close to the school record of 5’4” in the high jump,” said Mercer.

She knows such goals won’t come easy, but with the right work ethic and attitude she can accomplish anything.

“To achieve my goals I just have to keep working hard and stay positive at the same time,” explained Mercer.

Competing on the track is more than just a sport to Kamryn. She really values the friendships that she made, along with the life skills you can learn from working with others.

“This track season I am really looking forward to working with my friends. Especially my high jump teammates Kaelynn and Stephanie,” said Kamryn.

Kamryn and her teammates help support each other through every event to be able to compete at their highest potential.

“We help each other through the season and cheer one another on,” said Kamryn. “That is all you could want in good teammates.”

Kamryn is looking to jump big heights this season. Her hard work and dedication seem prove to be paying off.