B-A dominates Chartiers-Houston

Karson+Swogger+dropped+30+points+against+Chartiers-Houston+

Phoebe Potter

Karson Swogger dropped 30 points against Chartiers-Houston

Ethan McGee, Sports Editor

Lady Blue Devil basketball was clicking on all cylinders last night, holding a double digit lead all four quarters of play in the second round of the PIAA 2A playoffs.

WPIAL champion Chartiers-Houston was no match against the offensive fire power the Lady Blue Devils brought to the court. After blowing the doors open in the first quarter to a 26-12 lead, B-A was able to cruise to an impressive 80-66 victory.

Senior leader Karson Swogger believes B-A was very efficient with executing the game plan.

“We knew we had to execute our press and man to man defense. We jumped all over them from the beginning tip with a total team effort on the offensive end,” said Swogger.

The win puts Bellwood into the elite eight where they will face Our Lady of Sacred Heart this Saturday in the next round.

Freshman Alli Campbell is taking it all in.

“It feels great to make it to the elite eight and to know were one of the top teams in the state. Our hard work is paying off,” said Campbell.

The Karson Swogger-Alli Campbell back court duo was too much for the District 7 winner. Swogger netted 32 points and Campbell supplemented 25 points, combing for over half of B-A’s points.

It only took a couple minutes after tip-off for the ladies to find their groove. Easy buckets and executed offense allowed B-A to jump ahead early 26-12.

Through the next eight minutes B-A was able to manipulate the game doing everything they wanted. The Lady Devil’s lead increased to 15 points before the half, 48-33.

The Bucs were able to make a short run before the half keeping the Devils on their heels. Coming into the third quarter Bellwood had to come out hot to kill Chartiers-Houston momentum.

Without any trouble, that’s exactly what happened. B-A come out getting steals and easy layups to secure a 57-38 lead going into a timeout halfway through the quarter.

Makayla Carles found herself in the scoring column big for B-A, collecting 10 points for the game and sparking offensive plays.

When the buzzer sounded to end the third quarter of play, it was clear the game was all in the hands of the Lady Devils.

The Lady Devil’s success has come due to a big part of team work said Senior Sophie Damiano.

“Team work and hard work every single day has been a big reason why we have been so successful this season. It is for sure a big reason why we have made it to the elite 8 teams in the state for AA,” finished Damiano.