Taneyhill signs with Lehigh

Seniors commits to throw Javelin in the Patriot League

Ali Wagner

Jarrett Taneyhill was surrounded by family and coaches today when he signed to throw javelin at Lehigh.

Ethan McGee, Sports Editor

On the first day back from Easter break, senior Jarrett Taneyhill signed his National Letter of Intent to compete at Lehigh University.

Taneyhill will be a part of the men’s track & field team, throwing the javelin.

“I knew Lehigh was where I wanted to go so I contacted the track team. It ended up being like a home away from home once I got there,” said Taneyhill

The 6-foot 6-inch thrower has come onto the track & field scene rather quickly, with this being Taneyhill’s second season on the team. Jarrett was a baseball player the first two years of high school and then decided to make the transition to track his junior year.

“After two years of baseball, I realized I needed something different to do. Coach Burch really persuaded me to throw the Javelin,” said Taneyhill.

After getting the hang of the event through constant practice, Taneyhill was able to find early success. He took first place in the ICC conference meet last year, and finished fourth at districts, where he threw his personal best of 167’ 9”.

The hidden talent came as no surprise to a lot of people considering Taneyhill’s efforts on the football field as a record setting quarterback. The three sport athlete only does track & field three months out of the year, showing that he has a natural skill for throwing.

“With a year-round commitment to the javelin, he could do some amazing things,” said B-A field coach Mr. Charles Burch. It has been a pleasure coaching him the last two seasons.”

Head coach Nick Lovrich has high praise for Tanyehill’s coachable attitude and hard work ethic. Taneyhill is one of nine athletes Coach Lovrich has been able to see continue their track career on the college level.

What Jarrett has done in just two seasons out for track is amazing.

— Coach Lovrich

“We have been very lucky to have really good athletes who have gone on to compete in college. Bellwood has had working athletes who take serious pride in what they do,” said Lovrich.

In Coach Lovrich’s eyes, Jarrett matches those traits.

“What Jarrett has done in just two seasons out for track is amazing. Jarrett is a hard worker and a very coachable kid, which has really helped him to excel in the javelin. We are looking forward to Jarrett accomplishing big things for us the remainder of the year and in his future at Lehigh,” said Lovrich.

Taneyhill will study engineering at the prestigious university when he’s not throwing the javelin. Lehigh University, playing in the Patriot League, ranks very high in the country for its engineering programs, making it a great choice for the scholar Jarrett strives to be.