B-A secures huge win over Mount Union

Ali Wagner

Senior Brendan Kowalski prepares to swing in an at-bat against Mount Union.

Ethan McGee, Sports Editor

Blue Devil baseball has been on an absolute tear in the ICC over the past couple of weeks, culminating yesterday at home in a win over Mount Union, 13-10.

The rain wasn’t a factor for B-A as they jumped out to an 8-2 lead in the second inning. Sawyer Kline started on the mound for the Devils, but Freshman Travis Luensmann once again came in and closed it out for the Devils before the game was called due to rain.

It was Luensmann’s second win in a relief appearance in the last week.

Joe Padula and Nevin Wood both had two hits, which helped carry B-A to victory. Wood was able to rack up a two run single in the fifth inning, ultimately securing the win.

Padula was pleased with yesterday’s win.

“It felt good to get that win over Mount Union. We brought the bats that we needed too,” said Padula.

Pitching and defense has been much better, along with our at bats.

— Coach Conlon

The past couple games have been huge for B-A, knocking off some of the league’s biggest competition while improving to 8-4 overall and 7-2 in the ICC.

“It feels great to get these past couple wins because it keeps us as a contender for the league,” said Padula.

Coach Steve Conlon said getting the team healthy again has been a big factor in the turnaround, too. Kline is finally feeling good after a hamstring injury, and junior Jack Showalter may make it back from a broken wrist.

“We are playing pretty good baseball. We recently got Sawyer back in the lineup from his injury and that seems to have solidified the middle of our order,” Conlon said.  “Pitching and defense has been much better, along with our at bats.  Hopefully we get Jack Showalter back soon, which will add more punch to the lineup.”