Game On: The Legend of Zelda – Majora’s Mask

Pam Campbell, Student Contributor

The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask is a game that is the sixth part of the LoZ series. It was released in Japan on April 27, 2000 and on October 26, 2000 in America. It was developed and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo 64 and was released for GameCube as a part of the collector edition. This game has platforms for Nintendo 64, Nintendo GameCube, Wii, and was recently released and remade for 3DS!

Majora’s Mask focuses on Link, who is in Termina, a town with a large clock and a horrifying moon. There is a time limit in this game of three days, which is about 54 minutes in real time. This game imposes the same idea of the other ones in the series: dungeons, side missions, and storyline completion.

The game takes place several months after Ocarina of Time. You play as Link, who is riding in a forest in Hyrule on a pony looking for Navi. While he is riding through the forest, he has a run in with Tatl and Tael, who take both Epona and his Ocarina. The two faeries are following a man in an eerie mask, Skull Kid. You follow Skull Kid to get what he stole, and when you confront him after an eerie travel; he angrily turns Link into a Deku Scrub (basically a small tree child) with a disturbing cutscene. As Skull Kid runs off, chuckling like he usually does—he leaves apart his fairy, Tatl. She realizes that she can’t escape without the help of Link, insisting that she helps him. They run into a man with an eerie smile and a bag full of masks—The Happy Mask Salesman. He tells you he’s lost a very valuable, powerful mask. One that just so happens to look exactly like the one that Skull Kid is wearing. You get employed to help him get it back from Skull Kid unwillingly. Supposedly, the mask on Skull Kid; Majora’s mask… it has very bad powers. Here’s the thing; in Termina, there’s a festival where the moon begins to fall down. That’s right. A smiling, creepy, crashing moon that has the force to destroy termina. You have three days until it falls, however, once you get your ocarina back—you can reverse time as much as you want in order to successfully get the mask back.

I would rate this game a 10/10 for its horror and plot elements. I would not recommend it for the weak of heart; however, if you enjoy the Legend of Zelda series and horror, you should definitely play this game. The controls are easy enough when you get the hang of it, making it incredibly fun.