BluePrint writers earn statewide honors

McGee takes highest writing honor from Keystone Press Awards

Joe Padula

BluePrint writers Nathan Davis, Christina Kowalski, Ethan McGee, and Jarrett Taneyhill were received awards last week for their work this year as weiters and editors.

Marissa Panasiti, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, February 24, four B-A BluePrint writers were awarded some of the top honors in the state of Pennsylvania.

Ethan McGee, Nathan Davis, Christina Kowalski, and Jarrett Taneyhill learned they received awards from the Pennsylvania News Media Association’s Student Keystone Press Awards.

The Student Keystone Press Awards recognize and award high school and college students that write stories that provide relevance, integrity, and initiative when serving readers.

In 15 different categories, the Keystone Press Awards selected first place, second place, and honorable mention. The awards could feature stories or photos.

The BA BluePrint was awarded one first place winner in the Sports Story category.

With his story titled “Dealing with sports injuries,” junior writer Ethan McGee sailed to the top.

“It feels great to be recognized among the best sports writers in Pennsylvania,” says McGee. “We put in great amounts of hard work every day as a whole, so it’s awesome to get recognition.”

It was a clean sweep for Bellwood-Antis in the Sports Story category for the top two places. Senior sports editor Christina Kowalski claimed second place in the same category for her story about the Backyard Brawl.

This is a career that I want to pursue, so it means a lot that I’m getting this award on one of the first articles I ever wrote.

— Christina Kowalski

“This is a career that I want to pursue, so it means a lot that I’m getting this award on one of the first articles I ever wrote,” says Christina.

Another second place winner was senior Nathan Davis in the category of Ongoing News coverage. His story titled “Bellwood-Antis deals with state budget stalemate.”

“I think it’s really cool,” says Nathan. “There are a lot of talented writers in this class, and I’m looking forward to enjoying the trip with the rest of the gang.”

Finally, making huge contributions to the entire website, junior Jarrett Taneyhill (news editor) is being recognized as one of the official editors of the site, along with Kowalski (sports/social media editor). The Keystone Press Awards awarded the BluePrint second in Pennsylvania in the category of Website.

“I think it’s a great honor for the B-A BluePrint as a whole,” says Taneyhill.

On April 6, these students along with advisors Mr. Naylor and Mrs. Forshey will be attending a luncheon in Hershey to receive their awards.

“We are thrilled to receive these prestigious awards,” says Mr. Naylor. “I am personally excited for Ethan, Nathan, and Christina. We have a staff filled with talented writers, and it is nice to see their hard work be recognized.”

Congratulations to these four students along with the entire BluePrint staff!