BMOC: Jordan McCracken

Junior benefits from specializing in baseball

Noah D'Angelo, Staff Writer

In an era where specialization in one sport is very common, it rarely ever pays off.

However, for Bellwood-Antis junior Jordan McCracken, it seems to have worked in his favor. Jordan played basketball as a freshman and then completely switched focus to baseball.

Jordan has been playing baseball since he was a very young child and he dreams of playing at a higher level. He had an impressive sophomore season batting .292 with 18 RBI’s.

Jordan is this month’s Big Man on Campus.

“He (Jordan) played well for us last season. We are looking for him to step up this season batting wise and take on more of a leadership role,” said head coach Steve Conlon.

We need to win big games to prove that we are the best team around.

— Jordan McCracken

Jordan trained hard in the offseason to get ready for the up and coming year.

“I hit the gym and kept my body as healthy as possible to get back into baseball shape. I also worked on my mental game, playing mini scenarios in my brain so that they come naturally on the field,” said McCracken.

After devastating losses to Richland in the District 6 finals and Neshannock in the first round of states, Jordan thinks Bellwood has something to prove this season.

“We are going to prove that even though we are a young team, we have talent and can win games. We need to win big games to prove that we are the best team around.”

Coach Conlon has high hopes for the campaign as well.

“We want to compete. We have won the ICC the last two years so that is also a goal. As for districts, we will see how the season will go and take it from there.”