Music In Our Schools Month

Myranda Mamat

Stephanie Mills, Grace Misera, Addison Clemente, and Hailey McCloskey sing in the auditorium during a study hall. It’s one of the many ways B-A students benefit from music during the school day.

Blair Poorman, Staff Writer

March has been designated as Music In Our Schools Month by the National Association for Music Education, where music education should be recognized by schools across the country as their focal point.

Here at Bellwood-Antis the music department likes to stay musically active all throughout the year, a luxury that other schools don’t always enjoy. But one thing that they can’t get all year round is the media coverage that the B-A music department receives during Music In Our Schools Month.

Music lets you be yourself and allows you to be free. It is very therapeutic.

— Grace Misera

“Music is very important because some kids don’t know how to release stress or anger,” said junior Grace Misera, a chorus singer who is also a regular in B-A’s musicals.  “Music is an important outlet.  It lets you be yourself and allows you to be free. It is very therapeutic.”

“I think Music In Our Schools Month is a great tool for music advocacy. This month is filled with extra advertisement and extra media attention that we do not always enjoy year round,” said Mr. Sachse, the high school band director.

To celebrate Music In Our Schools Month, Mr. Sachse participated in a variety of musical events throughout Blair county.

“I celebrated by participating in a variety of great musical opportunities: I Co-Hosted Bellwood-Antis’ Arts Nights Event, I travelled to both a Junior High and Senior High Band festival, and I performed on trombone for Bishop Guilfoyle’s musical.”

Choral director Ms. Hull has spent the month on the festival scene, as well. Yesterday she learned that senior Amanda Albright qualified for PMEA All-State Chorus while at the Region 3 Choral Festival.

Music in school has different impacts on every person individually, whether it be used as an outlet of stress or to simply get your name out to people for doing such a great job.

“I don’t think many people know me without the music department.  When Mr. Bower came back he said I had no choice.  It gave me all of high school to get my name out, and it was a great opportunity to meet other people,” said senior Revel Southwell.

Music In Our Schools Month has expanded since its start in 1973, beginning as a day, then a week, and then in 1985 it became a month long celebration of music in our schools.

The main objective of Music In Our Schools Month is to raise awareness of the importance of children having access to music in school, as well as reminding people that schools should allow all children access to music.

Each year, the National Association for Music Education picks a theme, then schools and communities in the United States and overseas in Europe celebrate with concerts and other activities for Music In Our Schools Month.

The National Association for Music Education has 52 federated state organizations representing each state, the District of Columbia, and Europe. Each play a major role in getting Music in Our Schools Month to get as much attention as possible.