Where in the World? brings home the bronze

BAMS students win third place at the Regional Computer Fair

BAMS students proudly display their bronze medal.

Ms. Forshey

Jackson Boyer, Maggie Erickson, Adisyn Gilbert & Trevor Miller

On Friday, March 11th, the Penn State Altoona campus hosted a regional computer fair that highlights Pennsylvania high school and middle school students’ application skills and computer knowledge.

Four middle school students—Jackson Boyer, Maggie Erickson, Adisyn Gilbert and Trevor Miller—entered this competition with a video called Where in the World? into the digital movie category.

Where in the World? was originally created when the four of us were in 6th grade to be featured on the Bellwood Buzz, our morning news program. We gave three clues about a “mystery location” and gave our viewers one visual clue. Jackson and Trevor then gave the viewers time to guess the mystery location. The purpose for creating Where in the World? was to better educate our audience about the geography and culture of various countries around the world.

We decided to improve this segment by adding some technology and enter it in the competition. We used a green screen to put a background behind the boys. We also created an intro and outro using the IntroDesigner app. When we finally filmed them, we uploaded the video to the DoInk app, and edited it. After many hours of hard work, our project was finally complete.

When it was was competition day, we could not be more excited! We went to Penn State Altoona and set up. There were 78 projects there, so the competition was pretty intense. We got to walk around and see all of the other projects in different categories.  After the judges viewed all of the projects, it was time for the Awards Ceremony. There were three winners in every category. Our video, Where in the World?, earned third place in the digital movie category.

We are very proud of our accomplishment and grateful that we got the opportunity to compete at the Computer Fair.

We interviewed Trevor Miller about the experience.

BluePrint: What was your favorite part about the opportunity?

Trevor: My favorite part was going to Penn State Altoona to compete with our project.

BluePrint: About how long did it take you to prepare?

Trevor: It took us about 5 weeks to film and prepare the video to compete.

BluePrint: What did you learn from the experience?

Trevor: I learned how to use the green screen and IntroDesigner app to make the video.

The BluePrint would like to congratulate these students for representing BAMS in this competition. Not only were they the first middle school students to participate in the Computer Fair, but they were the first to win a medal for their project as well. We are B-A proud of you!