Bellwood-Antis says goodbye to Class of 2016

Seniors are reminded to face challenges with determination and integrity

Bellwood-Antis said its final farewell to the Class of 2016 at its Commencement Ceremony on Thursday.

Overcoming challenges and the obstacles you face in life was a common theme for the speakers at Thursday’s commencement ceremonies for the Bellwood-Antis High School Class of 2016.

After inclement weather moved the event indoors, a capacity crowd at the high school auditorium bid farewell to more than 80 graduating seniors, a class high school principal Richard Schreier said was “small but mighty.”

Comanche Garcia, a 1994 B-A alumnus who is a decorated military officer and a counselor at Rockview State Penitentiary, received a standing ovation for his guest speaker address, in which detailed his turmoil-filled formative years while growing up in New York City. Garcia was witness to the double homicide of his mother and 15-year old brother at the age of nine and later was the main witness in the trial of the two culprits.

Garcia said he never knew his biological father, and his step-father committed suicide after learning he was HIV positive as a result of heroin abuse.

BluePrint videos

“The way my life started surely would have landed me in jail, homeless, or dead,” Garcia told the Class of 2016.

Garcia said that thanks to the Fresh Air Fund he was able to find his way to Bellwood, the community he credited with molding him into the person he is today.

“Class of 2016, in this ever-changing world, life is going to throw you a lot of curve balls, and sometimes change-ups,” he said. “You may think of giving up. Don’t do that. You are special. Don’t ever let anyone take your worth or your whole self from you.”

Salutatorian Laycee Clark opened the night by speaking in similar fashion about overcoming obstacles. She, too, told the Class of 2016 that it would face many challenges, and that she had learned herself how important overcoming them is.

She spoke from personal experience to say that what’s important is learning to face challenges head-on without making excuses.

Board president Robert Fisher reminded the class the importance of going out into the world and maintaining one’s integrity.

Mr. Schreier, before recognizing the achievement of groups and individuals among the Class of 2016, told the seniors they had a special place in his heart. Mr. Schreier taught most of them while he was still a middle school teacher, and he said he was happy he was able to renew his relationship with them beginning last year when he was named high school principal.

Assistant Principal Cathy Adams awarded seniors their diplomas, and Class President Revel Southwell led the Class of 2016 in the turning of the tassels.

Choir Director Beth Hull led senior members of concert choir in several sentimental numbers, including a rendition of “Homeland” for the second straight year, in what is becoming a Bellwood-Antis tradition.