Imagination Zone makerspace coming to Myers

Brianna Reiter

Old cardboard boxes and discarded gadgets will be the building blocks for students in the Myers Makerspace.

Jamilyn Daley, Staff Writer

Myers Elementary Principle Terri Harpster strives to add technology into learning.

Makerspaces, which are creative, DIY spaces where people can gather to create, invent, and learn, are on a rise across the country. Makers of all ages use them to make their imagination come to life.  From 3D printers to cardboard and scissors the possibilities are endless.

Mrs. Harpster has set aside a room upstairs at Myers for the school’s own makerspace.

“The idea of a maker space is really simply about students having a place where there are materials and space in which they can design and make things and re-design and make again, so that they can make their ideas a reality,” said Mrs. Harpster.

When people take things apart they have a better understanding of how it was put together.

— Mrs. Harpster

It is expected that Myers’ maker space, which is called ‘Imagination Zone’, will be up and running by the end of September.

Teachers of students in kindergarten through fourth grade at Myers will use Imagination Zone for hands on learning.

Not only can the students make psychical creations, but digital ones as well.  Imagination Zone has an entire wall dedicated to being a green screen so that teachers and students could make videos.

Myers Elementary will soon be asking the community to donate old appliances such as TV’s, blenders, radios, and other useful building tools.

Mrs. Harpster said, “When people take things apart they have a better understanding of how it was put together.”

The hope is to one day have a maker space in the community, not just for students but for everyone to come and create their thoughts.

One of the upstairs rooms in Myers was repainted and re-tooled to serve as a makerspace.
Brianna Reiter