Starting slow, finishing strong

Despite dicey first quarter, Devils manage lopsided win at C-K

Ali Wagner

Senior Ethan McGee heads up field after fielding a first-quarter punt against Claysburg-Kimmel.

Phoebe Potter, Staff Writer

Bellwood-Antis quarterback Jarrett Taneyhill was on a roll Friday night, completing 14 out of 21 passes for five touchdowns in a 33-13 win over the Claysburg-Kimmel Bulldogs.

While the Blue Devils may have gotten the W, they still show a need for improvement, mostly on their offensive line. The Devils had to pull out their fourth-string center due to multiple injuries.

The Devils still need to work on their run game but were capable of rushing for 178-yards on 36 carries. Duke Brunner ran for 75-yards on 17 carries and Ryen Beam carried for 55-yards on one run in the fourth quarter.

B-A is yet to produce a 100-yard rusher this season.

However, Ryan Moore and Brendan Kowalski both scored twice and caught three passes. Ethan McGee had a 62-yard completion for a final BA touchdown.

“Our running game needs to improve a little bit,” said Kowalski. “We’re good passing the ball but if we get our running game going we should be a good all-around football team.”

It was a dry beginning with a scoreless first quarter; McGee ran a punt back for a touchdown but it was brought back due to a holding penalty.

It wasn’t until the ending seconds of the second quarter when Kowalski caught a six-yard pass from Taneyhill to score with 17 seconds left. Kowalski also kicked to put to Devils ahead 7-0.

Moore then got a 29-yard pass to advance the Devils’ lead to  14-0 in the third. Taneyhill got to Moore again in the third with a four-yard pass to make the score 21-0. Claysburg-Kimmel was able to catch up with 2:16 left in the third with a touchdown run from Ty Hagen, but still trailed 21-7.

In the fourth quarter Kowalski caught a 20-yard pass for another B-A touchdown. After a touchdown run by C-K’s Jakob Dodson, BA still led with a score of 27-13.

McGee capped the game with his 62-yard completion, making the final score of 33-13.

“We played alright, but I think we all agree that we can do better,” said Taneyhill.“I think we need to improve on how we start games. We can’t start out slow and let teams hang around.”

I think we need to improve on how we start games. We can’t start out slow and let teams hang around.

— Jarrett Tanneyhill

The team had dedicated Friday’s game to the recently deceased Mr. Martin Halleran. Mr. H was an aide and faculty member at BAHS and passed away the September 3 due to a massive heart attack.

It was Mr. H’s attentiveness to the B-A community and all of its students that led McGee to take to Twitter to dedicate the game to Mr. H.

“He would have loved to be there and support the team like he always has,” said McGee. “He was always there the day after a game to congratulate me and be a positive influence in my life.”