B-A student leading food packing event

Stephanie Mills (right) is leading an initiative to provide food for refugees in the Middle East.

Jarrett Taneyhill, Student Life Editor

The Bellwood-Antis High School Fellowship of Christian Athletes and the Bellwood Church of the Brethren Youth Group are joining with GAiN USA to provide 40,000 rice and lentil meals to be distributed to refugees in the Middle East.

On March 18, 200 volunteers will be meeting in the Bellwood-Antis Middle School Cafeteria at 10:00 am to gather to pack and prepare these meals for shipping.

The total cost of the packing event is $12,000, so each volunteer is asked to provide at least $20 from sponsorship donations to help with the cost of the packing event.

seeing how little these people really live definitely makes me want to help them.

— Stephanie Mills

All volunteers younger than 9th grade must be accompanied by an adult volunteer.

FCA President Stephanie Mills is taking a big leadership role in the packing event.

“My youth group has gone to the GAiN Logistics Center and has done food packing there before. So when we heard they did mobile packing events we thought it would be a great idea to do one here,” said Stephanie.

Stephanie, who has visited these less fortunate countries that are being helped, says that is part of the reason she wants to help out these people.

Courtesy Photo
Max DeArmitt and Isaac Mills prepare food at a GAiN USA event last year.

“Part of it is the fact that God calls us to serve others, but actually seeing how little these people really live definitely makes me want to help them,” she said.

Stephanie really wants to see people helping out at the packing event.

“People should help out because it really gives you a vision for why global missions are so important. It’s also really fun and easy to serve people in a really big way,” said Stephanie.

FCA adviser Mr. Nick Lovrich is very happy to see Stephanie trying to make a difference.

“This is what FCA is about. We want students to turn into great adults and contribute to society.  For her to do this and raise $11,000 by herself is a pretty big accomplishment.  It takes a special kid to be able to do that. There are adults that couldn’t even do that, so I’m really proud of what she’s done so far,” said Coach Lovrich.

Be sure to come and help less fortunate people on March 18 at the Bellwood-Antis Middle School Cafeteria.