Jordyn Beam wins dance scholarship

Jordyn Beam will attend dance school on scholarship in New York City this summer.

Briana Sisto, Staff Writer

If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere.

One Bellwood Sophomore is taking New York head on as she will spend a week dancing with other amazing dancers this summer in the Big Apple.

Sophomore Jordyn Beam will be attending Harlem School of the Arts in New York City, New York.

“This is my first time I’ve been awarded this scholarship, so it’s pretty exciting and will look great on my college resume,” she said.

This is my first time I’ve been awarded this scholarship, so it’s pretty exciting.

— Jordyn Beam

Jordyn started dancing when she was two and she started competing when she was five, so overall she has been dancing for 14 years.

This year she had attended a dance competition called Sheer Talent where she had taken classes with the judges on the panel. One specific class they had was ballet.

During the Ballet section, they learned combinations and performed them in small groups.

The ballet teacher, Daniel Cainach, chose Jordyn and nine others to win half scholarships worth $300 to Harlem School of the Arts.

“It’s probably the most exciting thing to happen since I went to Las Vegas,” Jordyn said.

Scholarship awardees will pay for their own stay, with scholarship money going towards tuition and costumes for the performance.

The program lasts one week, with classes everyday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Jordyn hopes to continue dancing until she’s out of high school and continue throughout college, where she hopes to become a dance major at Point Park University.