Middle school students shadow at UPMC

Back to Article
Back to Article

Middle school students shadow at UPMC

Nick Caracciolo, Noah Patton and Zach Mallon don their scrubs to prepare for job shadowing at UPMC.

Courtesy photo

Courtesy photo

Courtesy photo

Anson Jones, Staff Writer

Mr. Travis Martin took six Bellwood-Antis middle school students to UPMC Altoona for Job Shadowing, students that were able to attend included Abbey Snyder, Dakota Woomer, Sicily Yingling, Zach Mallon, Nick Caracciolo, and Noah Patton.

I want students to at least become more aware of the many rewarding opportunities in the field of medicine, not just becoming a doctor.”

— Mr. Martin

“It was a great learning experience for job opportunities in the future,” said Zach Mallon.

The surgery was an anterior cervical discectomy, which treats common degenerative spinal disc disorder.

“It was very education, and will help me make decisions later in life,” said Abbey Snyder.

The students got scrubbed in and the surgery crew guided the students through the procedure, explaining step by step what was happening throughout the surgery.

Mr. Martin said his experiences studying to be a doctor proved to him how valuable an experience shadowing a medical professional could be.

“While attending undergraduate and medical school, I had the unique experience to attain and education and job experience.  It was invaluable to me, and I want students to at least become more aware of the many rewarding opportunities in the field of medicine, not just becoming a doctor,” said Mr. Martin.