Sixth graders adventure to Camp K

The+sixth+grade+class+of+Bellwood-Antis+is+excited+about+going+to+Camp+Kanesatake+in+May.+

Camp K Facebook Page

The sixth grade class of Bellwood-Antis is excited about going to Camp Kanesatake in May.

Ali Wagner, Staff Writer

At Bellwood-Antis, it is essentially a rite of passage to go on an environmental camping trip your sixth grade year. For years, Bellwood-Antis has taken their sixth graders to Camp Blue Diamond, which is a small camp right near State College.

However, this year, there has been a vast change on the traditional camping trip. On May 23, 24, and 25th, Mr. Trexler and many of the sixth grade teachers will be taking their students to Camp Kanesatake.

There has not been a change in camp since they started this environmental camping trips. The reasons for the change are simply to better the trip for the students.

“There is more of a variety of fun activities for the kids to enjoy at this camp,” said Sixth Grade teacher Mr. Trexler. “Also, the facilities are a lot nicer, and because of the new layout, it is way more conducive to what we do.”

Despite the change, most of the sixth graders don’t seem bothered by the change.

“It doesn’t bother me because I go to Camp K in the summer with my church, so I know how fun it is,” said Peter Orona, a sixth grader at Bellwood-Antis. “I am looking forward to all the summer activities.”

During this camping trip, students will get the opportunity to further their education by getting a personal experience in outdoor classes.

“The benefit of going to camp is that it is an actual extension to what we learn here at school, because it takes what we learn in a book and gives the students a first-hand experience,” said Mr. Trexler.

Students get to take what they have learned in science class and watch it come to life.

“We will have accurate classes on wetlands and bird identification, which will help the students remember what they have learned by seeing it, said Mr. Trexler.” “Sometimes you don’t remember what you learn by using a pencil and paper.”

The sixth graders are looking forward to the trip, and are anxiously anticipating the fun.

“I’m looking forward to zip-lining and am excited to get outdoors and not be in my own house,” said Jared Lear.