Taking down statues solves nothing

Student contributor Nick Caracciolo.

Nick Caracciolo, Student Contributor

I think that we should not take down Confederate monuments. Whether people agree with the statues or not, they are still a huge part of our history.  Some people might say that it is wrong to have the statues because they represent slavery and will put African Americans down.

If we are taking Confederate monuments and flags down, then does this mean that we can eliminate the flags that support gay rights?

But, the statues don’t only represent slavery, they represent what America has overcome and shows that America is much better place now.  As a prominent black nationalist once said, “A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots.”  That was said by Marcus Garvey.  This quote strongly supports the statues because it is saying that you need to be able to remember what our past was like in order to see the improvement in our country.

Another thing that I strongly disagree with is that if we take all of the monuments down it will fix all of the problems and disagreements.  Taking down all of the monuments will only make it better for one side of the argument.  The people who want the statues will still fight and argue because they want them back.  If we are taking Confederate monuments and flags down, then does this mean that we can eliminate the flags that support gay rights.  I say this because maybe the people who want the Confederate monuments and flags to stay, might want the flags to go that support being gay.

One thing that I agree with is that if you take down the monuments it will still not erase the history.  This is very true because this information will still be in our history books.  It’s not like our school is going to take time and tear out all the pages and cut out all of the pictures in our history books that talk about slavery and the confederate monuments.  Whether you like it or not, kids still need to learn about this simply because it is one of the biggest parts of American History.

Overall, no matter what you do, there is still going to be the same reoccurring dilemma.  The only real way to eliminate this problem is to ban all flags and monuments.  But there will most likely still be arguments and issues.  So in my opinion, everyone should just get over themselves so that this ongoing problem will resolve and not come up anymore.