National Junior Honor Society raises money for Save the Children

Pictured from left to right: Mr. Hescox (NJHS Advisor), Ethan Brown, Mrs. Taylor (NJHS Advisor), Anna Lovrich, Cynthia Hammel, and Kermit Foor, IV.

Julianna Norris, Copy/Page Editor

The National Junior Honor Society was able to raise $850 for  Save the Children, an organization providing hurricane relief, with a dance held in late September.

Mrs. Taylor, the adviser of the National Junior Honor Society, is very proud of her students for raising money towards a good cause.

“I’m proud of the students for taking initiative and raising money towards something that is greater than them,” said Mrs. Taylor.

According to its webstie, Save the Children:

Believes every child deserves a future. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. We do whatever it takes for children – every day and in times of crisis – transforming their lives and the future we share.

The dance was held from 6 p.m.-8 p.m. for 5 and 6 grade and from 8 p.m.-10 p.m. for 7 and 8 grade.

About 100 students in each grade attended the dance, which was organized by Mr. Trexler, who is the media center adviser, along with Mrs. Taylor, and NJHS adviser Mr. Brnadon Hescox.

There was a $3 charge to attend, and all of the money went to Save the Children, for relief efforts for Hurricane Irma.

The school also received donations of snacks and drinks to sell. Kermit Foor, a senior at Bellwood-Antis High School, was the DJ for the night.

Because the dance was run off of volunteers and everything was donated, there were no major expenses.