A new role for Mr. Trexler

Teacher adds green thumb to resume

Wyatt McKendree

The garden is home for many native plants from PA.

There has always been a garden in the B-A Outdoor Classroom, but this green space recently got a face lift from Mr. Trexler. The new and improved garden now has many more areas dedicated to growing plants and vegetables, which has led to more opportunities for students.

We asked Mr. Trexler to describe his new program called Dirt to Dinner, and he stated, “I believe that the students should take and create pride in their work, and the garden is the perfect place for this to happen.”

When asked about what has been grown in the garden so far, Mr. Trexler mentioned that he had raised beds with tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, beans, chives, asparagus, and broccoli.  All of the food that is harvested from the garden goes to either the Home Ec classes, the cafe in the media center or community groups who have helped take care of the area. Some of the food was also donated to The Door. 

Students worked in the garden during study halls. They planted and cultivated the seeds, harvested the plants, and took care of the native flowers. The time spent helping out can count toward community service hours for high school students.

The program got off to a great start so Mr. Trexler is really looking forward to expanding the activities during the the spring of 2018.