Campbell tagged District speech champ; Bartlett going to states

Jenna+Bartlett+and+Haley+Campbell+display+their+certificates+from+the+District+speech+championships.+

Jenna Bartlett and Haley Campbell display their certificates from the District speech championships.

Riley Miller, Staff Writer

Last week, at the District speech championships at Westmont Hilltop High School, Bellwood-Antis came away with one champion and one state qualifier.

Freshman Haley Campbell won first place in the declamation category, while junior Jenna Bartlett took second place in the informative category.

Although Haley’s category doesn’t have a competition at the state contest, she could still move on to the national championships if she qualifies at regionals at St. Francis University next month.

“It felt good but it would have felt better if my category went to states,” said Haley.  The judges said I should move a little more during my presentation, so I’m going to work on that.  I was happy to be there, but I think I have a chance to move onto nationals.”

Jenna will be moving on to the state championships.

“I’m super pumped and excited about states. I feel I worked really hard,” she said. “Did I already say I was pumped about life in general? I went in ninth grade but I didn’t make it through the second day but it was great and I’m excited to go back.”

Alivia Jacobs placed fourth in the informative category, while Dan Kustaborder placed fifth in prose.

Overall, speech coaches Mrs. Alyssa Cunningham and Mrs. Sally Padula were pleased with the team’s showing.

“I am so proud of how well the students did at districts,” said Mrs. Cunningham. “Jenna will go on to compete at states. Haley had a perfect season in Declamation and was named district champion. Even though her category doesn’t compete at states, I am excited for her to compete at regionals for the opportunity to qualify for nationals.”