Bellwood-Antis wears the I.C.C. crown once again

Sakeria Haralson embraces the ball as she prepares to take two big foul shots against Everett in the ICC championship.

Colin McCaulley, Sports Writer

The Lady Blue Devils claimed their fifth ICC championship in the last six years Saturday in Claysburg with a 55-53 win over Everett.

You can check out our photostory from the game here.

It would not have been possible without the clutch foul shooting of junior Sakeria Haralson, who made 3 of 4 from the line over the last 16 seconds.

“It wasn’t hard at all because I knew my teammates were counting on me,” said Haralson, who finished with 15 points.

Sophomore Alli Campbell led the Lady Devils with 22 points, including 16 in the first half, when B-A built a 30-21 lead.

BluePrint sports

The lead would quickly vanish after being outscored by three points in the third quarter and the fourth would be the same story, with the Lady Devils outscored by four. B-A would hang on, but just barely, weathering a storm of 27 points from Everett’s Kaitlyn Maxwell.

Maxwell hit a three with under 5 minutes to go to get a 49-48 lead, but Campbell answered back. Campbell and Haralson hit some big foul shots to get a 52-51 lead, followed up by more Haralson free throws to extend it to a four point lead with 16 seconds to go. Everett made another shot to cut the lead to two, but the Blue Devils inbounded to Campbell to run out the clock out.

“Maxwell is a phenomenal player,” Swaney said. “They had some kids step up and hit some shots that we didn’t think they would, and I give them credit for that. That was a great test for us right now.”

BluePrint sports

Campbell (10 rebounds) and Haralson (12 rebounds) each had double-doubles. Emilie Leidig added 10, and Riley D’Angelo scored 8.

Bellwood-Antis now looks toward playing Homer Center tomorrow night on the first round of District 6 2A playoffs, where the Lady Devils are the 4-seed.