B-A musicians attend Susquehanna Honors Band

(L to r): Dominic Tornatore, Julie Bauer, Kaitlyn Farber, and Kyra Woomer attended the 26th annual Susquehanna University Honors Band.

Leah Farber, Staff Writer

On Sunday, four musicians from Bellwood went to The 26th Annual Susquehanna University Honors Band Festival at Susquehanna University.

Those students were Julie Bauer, Kaitlyn Farber, Dominic Tornatore, and Kyra Woomer.

Some of the songs they played were “Fanfare of Wakakusa Hill,” “Among the Clouds,” “Flourish for Wind Band,” and “A+.”  “A+” was a song where they were told to play at 95% and at the end all the percussion dropped their sticks.

It’s a very authentic college experience kids stay in dorms and no supervision. They get to experience campus lifestyle between rehearsals.

— Mr. Sachse

Band director Mr. Patrick Sachse said the trip gives students a chance to learn about real college life.

“It’s a very authentic college experience kids stay in dorms and no supervision. They get to experience campus lifestyle between rehearsals,” said Mr. Sachse.

For a musician like Julie, the trip was great because she has already been accepted to Susquehanna.

“I loved the experience and the dorm experience, and it was amazing to see and be in because I’m going to go there in the fall,” she said.

Kyra also enjoyed the college life. After attending for three years, she felt she saw many different aspects of life at school.

It’s fun because for three years I’ve seen different parts of their campus,” she said. “I’ve lived at each level. I spent a night in the freshman dorms and sophomore dorms, and this year I stayed in the music sorority house. ”

Kyra also liked the diversity such a festival affords.

“It’s interesting to work with different music directors, and you see kids from all over, from New York to all corners of Pennsylvania.”

The concert featured two honors ensembles, the Honors Wind Ensemble and the Honors Band, as well as the Honors Festival Band, which brought both groups together.

This concert was the culmination of a three-day festival for talented woodwind, brass and percussion students from high schools across the eastern part of the United States.

Eric Hinton, director of the Honors Band and Susquehanna alumnus Nicholas Roseth, were the guest conductors.