First grade students create museums

Riley Miller

The Myers first grade hallway is alive with student museums.

Riley Miller, Staff Writer

Walking through the first grade hallway at Myers Elementary, and you may be surprised at the things you see.

By one door, you may find flowers made of recyclables. By another, robots made of recycled parts of old mechanics.

This is all a part of the first grade team’s museum madness. Each first grade teacher chose a specific animal for his or her students to learn about throughout the year. Students learned about habitats, environments, and their animal’s diet. Using recycled materials, students then created a hallway showing off everything they’ve learned.

Throughout the year, teachers and students have displayed different artwork pieces depending on the season.

According to Mr. David Plummer, the children love the ownership and love taking things into their own hands to let their creativity escape.

Mr. Plummer’s class in particular explored the nature of owls, dissecting owl pellets, creating habitats, and learning about the water cycle. In addition to the projects, Mr. Plummer also has incubated eggs on display.

The other first grade teachers – Jennel Miller, Cindy Czynal, Cheyanne Dickson, and Christine Hughes – have amazing displays, as well.

At the same time, technology instructor Mrs. Kylie Longo is working with the students to create a brochure in which the children will outline their tour of the hallway for their parents.

This isn’t the first time Myers students have created museums for display. Two years ago, Myers Elementary held a wax museum, and this is only a continuation of their creativity.