• Yes. It's finally Friday. It's so good it's bringing tears to my eyes.

• Language. It's going on as we speak.

• Take notes while the therapist takes notes, Make some power moves.

Gerwert signs with LHU

Alexis Gerwert signed with Lock Haven University to continue her career as a pole vaulter.

Kerry Naylor

Kerry Naylor

Ever since Alexis Gerwert won the District 6 2A pole vault championship her freshman season, it’s almost been a forgone conclusion that she would one day compete in the event in college.

The only question was where.

I know a lot of the girls I competed with at states are going to be in the P-SAC, so we’ll have some good competition.”

— Alexis Gerwert

On Friday, Gerwert made it official when she signed with Lock Haven University in front of friends and family at Bellwood-Antis High School.

It was an easy decision for Gerwert, who holds the B-A pole vault record of 11-foot-6.

“When I visited the campus I liked it,” said Gerwert. “I went there and knew it was right.”

She’ll be stepping into one of the top Division II conferences in the nation, the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC), but Gerwert has never been one to back down from a little competition.

“I know a lot of the girls I competed with at states are going to be in the P-SAC, so we’ll have some good competition,” she said.

Gerwert qualified for the PIAA championships every year she competed at B-A. After winning the District 6 meet as a freshman she placed third her sophomore season after undergoing back surgery earlier in the year. She came back to win gold once again her junior season, and later took home a silver medal at the PIAAs.

This past season, Gerwert finished second at Districts before last week placing seventh at states.

Gerwert has been coached her entire life by her father, Jimmy Gerwert, who feels she could make an impact at Lock Haven.

“I think she’s going to be pretty good in the P-SAC,” he said. “Hopefully she’s got a pretty good jump coach. I don’t know too much about the P-SAC jumpers, but I know she can contend.”

Training under a different coach will be a new experience for Aleixs, but it’s a change Jimmy thinks she is ready for.

“It’s tough. I said a couple of weeks ago it’s like, I’m going to lose my baby,” Jimmy said. “But in a way she needs to be coached by other people, so I’m looking forward to her getting that experience.”

Gerwert’s high school records bode well for her career at LHU. The indoor record for the Lady Eagles is 11 feet, while the outdoor record is 11-foot-10.