What is the problem with water?

Caroline Nagle

Is drinking water in class okay?

Alright Bellwood, we are not allowed to have water bottles in class or in the hallways.

Often, students interrupt class to ask to get a cough drop or go get a drink at the water fountain. A student wouldn’t need to leave class to go get a drink if they were able to carry a water bottle with them.

Throughout the school year there are flu seasons, cold seasons, and allergy seasons which can all cause students to have a sore throat and cough a lot. Not only do students get sick during school, but they can also get dehydrated. Wouldn’t it make sense for students to carry water bottles to help with this?

Water fountains are not a resolution.The most convenient time for students to get a drink from them is in between classes so they’re not actually missing class. Trying to walk over to a water fountain while navigating through the halls and carrying your books, is difficult. Also, water fountains are nasty. People sneeze on them, cough on them, put their mouths disgustingly close to where the water comes out. Schools have enough germs and expecting around 400 students to drink out of the same three water fountains is disgusting. Professional germaphobe, Malia Danish, thinks that students who might need or want a water bottle during school should have them because it will prevent students from distracting class to contract germs from the dirty water fountains. Water bottles keep students in their seats and germs away from their mouths.

Most schools allow to students to carry water bottles with them. Sophomore, Lyndsai Salat, moved to Bellwood last year.

“I’ve been bringing a water bottle to school for as long as I can remember,” Lyndsai said.

She continued by saying that she gets dehydrated easily and she hates relying on water fountains because she finds them gross and thinks it’s more convenient to carry a water bottle.

A fear expressed by the school is students sneaking alcohol into the school, but is that a legitimate excuse? 

Teachers and other students would need to be aware of that possibility. The parents of the student and the students themselves would need to then take responsibility for their actions. One students bad plausible actions should not mean the rest of the student body doesn’t get water bottles during school which could be damaging to a persons health.

Senior Brandie Ray says that she carries a water bottle to help with dehydration and that bringing in alcohol has never crossed her mind.  

The water bottles could be put underneath a students seat until they need them to prevent them from being a distraction. If a student is distracted or being a distraction, then a teacher can use their judgement on whether or not to take the bottle. An entire school should not be punished just because some students will not act appropriately with a water bottle… it’s a bottle of water people…