• Congratulations to the Lady Blue Devils on their win against Juniata Valley for the District 6 title!

• The 2019 mini-THON event raised over $25,000 for childhood cancer!

• Prom information has been posted outside Mrs. Frank's room. Go check it out!

Tea w/ C: Christmas controversy

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tea w/ C: Christmas controversy

Rudolph has come under attack, along with other Christmas favorites.

Kerry Naylor

Kerry Naylor

Kerry Naylor

Caroline Nagle, Staff Writer

“White Christmas,” “Baby It’s Cold Outside,” and “Rudolph” are all Christmas classics. They’re part of the season that not only kids but people of all ages look forward to. But have you ever thought of any of these songs and movies to be suggestive or controversial?

Concerns for these Christmas classics have been raised this year. “White Christmas” is considered  racist, “Baby It’s Cold Outside” is said to be about a girl being taken advantage of, and “Rudolph” is about a reindeer that was bullied until deemed useful.

“White Christmas” and “Baby It’s Cold Outside” both are being taken off of radio stations across America because instead of being viewed as the Christmas classics they are, people are viewing them in a negative manner, while “Rudolph” has become the target of bullying claims.

“White Christmas” came out as a song in 1942 sung by Bing Crosby. It’s been 76 years since its release and it is now considered to be racist. Isn’t it kind of ironic the snowflakes of this generation are complaining about a song that is literally about snowflakes? It’s about snow guys. Seriously.

“Baby It’s Cold Outside” was written in 1944, and ever since new renditions of the classic song have been created. Now, radio stations all across the country are removing this song from their playlists because in the light of the “Me Too” movement there is a question of whether this song is innocent and flirty or about date rape.

“Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer” is not only one of the most well known movies and songs, but one of the most well known Christmas characters. Whereas “White Christmas” and “Baby It’s Cold Outside” are more mature Christmas songs, “Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer” is a song that most kids learn and love at a very young age. However, have you ever really thought of “Rudolph” in this way: he was bullied by all of the other reindeer, his dad practically disowned him, and even Santa was embarrassed by his red nose. It was not until there was a foggy night and his blinking red nose could lead the way through the fog that Rudolph was not only appreciated but not looked at as an embarrassment. Also, Hermy, one of the elves who wanted to be a dentist, was also looked down upon because he didn’t want to make toys.

You can look at “Rudolph” as a sad story of bullying. However, as a child I looked at it as a story of Rudolph and Hermy overcoming the differences they had with the other reindeer and elves and being comfortable and accepting themselves.

Why does Christmas need to have controversy? Why can’t we just listen to the songs we want to on the radio and watch the movies we want to? Christmas controversy is not what the most wonderful time of the year is about.