THON hosting movie night Friday

Anson Jones

Movie night takes place this Friday to support THON.

Alex Frederick, Staff Writer

Bellwood-Antis High School will be hosting a movie night in the auditorium on Friday, January 11. The cost is $5 for adults and $3 for students with refreshments sold in the main lobby.

This event will be sponsored by Mini-Thon and Four Diamonds.

Mini-Thon is an activity event where a school takes part in different opportunities to raise money for childhood cancer. The Four Diamonds mission is to conquer childhood cancer by assisting children and their families through superior care, comprehensive support and innovative research. The program covers 100% of all medical expenses related to cancer care not covered by insurance for eligible Four Diamonds children.

“We received a booklet of ideas that Four Diamonds gives out, and I looked at Tyson (Irvin)  and said ‘We should do this.’ It’s an easy way to raise funds,” said Alivia Jacobs, THON Fundraising Chair.

Alivia said the committee is hoping to get at least 100 people at the event, and it’s focused particularly on young people in the community, like those attending Myers.

“We are showing two kid-friendly movies, so we would love to have a lot of young people there,” said Alivia.

Last year, for the first time, Bellwood participated in this cause and raised $13,000 for childhood cancer research. This year’s goal is to make $15,000 or more.

Mini-Thon will take place on March 1, 2019.