Students deal with dress code changes

Cazen Cowfer

Students like sophomore Ashlynn Ball now have to wear leggings under jeans when they have holes, no matter where on the jeans the holes may be.

Hailee McConnell, Staff Writer

Have you noticed any changes the first weeks of school? 

Yes, the halls are cleaner, there’s tape art on the walls, and there are new posters here and there.

Although those are all new changes, the biggest change in the halls is the new dress code. 

Last year students were allowed to wear jeans with holes below your fingertips and they were allowed to wear leggings as long as there was proper body coverage. That has all changed in 2019-2020.

“I believe that the dress code is a little too strict. Kids should be allowed to have freedom in school with what they wear and possibly say,” said Jaidyn McCracken.

Kids should be allowed to have freedom in school with what they wear and possibly say

— Jaidyn McCracken

One of the biggest changes in the dress code is the leggings rule. Now, students are allowed to wear leggings as long as they aren’t sheer or see-through. In the past, the rule was that you weren’t allowed to wear them unless your butt was covered, but now you don’t have to have anything covering that area.

Another big change in the dress code is the new jeans rule. Jeans may contain small holes from the mid-thigh down as long as your skin is not exposed. However, leggings or other coverings must be worn underneath to cover the skin, no matter where the holes are on the jeans.

“The jeans rule should not be a rule because shorts expose the same skin as rips below the fingertips,” said Emilie Leidig. 

BAHS changed the rules because kids frequently broke the dress code, said Principal Richard Schreier. The percent of dress code violations last year was 10%, and some students who broke the rules didn’t always get written up. The rule was always abused and the trust was broken.  

“The administration reserves the right to decide on fashionable dress that may be considered inappropriate or disruptive to a safe and orderly learning environment and is not addressed in this code,” said Principal Schreier.

According to the student handbook,  “In all cases, clothing should be neat, and appropriate for school.”

Still, many students feel the rules are too strict. 

“The no-holes-in-jeans rule is unfair because most of the holes in jeans are farther down the pant leg and don’t show anything inappropriate. I think the dress code should be loosened,” said McCracken. 

As far as the boys are concerned, the dress code doesn’t often apply to them, with the exception of jeans with holes.

“It doesn’t really change anything for the guys,” said junior Trenton Pellegrino.