Bellwood-Antis Recgonizes Suicide Awareness

Students were encouraged to wear purple on Wednesday to raise awareness for suicide.

Alexis Mayhue, Staff Writer

Suicide might not be a popular subject but talking about it can raise awareness. This Wednesday, Bellwood-Antis is taking a stand and having its students come dressed in purple to show support for National Suicide Awareness day.

Almost 3,000 people a day commit suicide from teenagers to military personal. Suicide doesn’t discriminate and anyone can fall to it, and Robin Williams is an example of this. Years ago he said, “Suicide is never the answer. It is a long term solution to a temporary problem.”

Suicide is an important issue and high school assistant principal Mrs. Adams agrees one hundred percent.

If students are worried that a friend may be considering suicide they can pick up referral forms at the guidance office.

“We’re getting on the right path. We have support groups and I want to work on getting the staff trained. Not only the teachers but cafeteria workers, janitors– everyone. Even some students,” said Mrs. Adams.

B-A has a student assistant program or SAP.  This allows the school to have a program where students can talk to other students when they need to. Not everyone is comfortable with talking to an adult and would rather go to someone their own age, SAP allows this to happen.  Bellwood-Antis also has a few mental health professionals that are here for the students if they need to talk.

If you or someone you know ever need someone to talk to you can call 1-800-273-TALK