Bellwood-Antis High School teachers remember 9/11

We will always remember the day of September 11, 2001, when two planes crashed into the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center complex.  A third hijacked plane was soon after crashed into the Pentagon.  A final plane was targeted for Washington D.C., but landed in a field near Shanksville, Pa, about an hour and a half Southwest of Bellwood.

Like many Americans, teachers at Bellwood-Antis are recognizing the tragedy today, 13 years later.

Students and teachers were encouraged to wear red, white and blue on Thursday in recognition of the anniversary of the terrorist attack.

Several teachers were interviewed to share their thoughts on 9/11 and how it has changed America.

Ms. Brandt

Problems of Democracy Teacher

Q: Where were you when 9/11 happened?

A: I had just said “Good morning” to the office workers. They asked me, “Why are you so happy? They just crashed into the world trade center.”

Q: What was going through your head at the time?

A: I was just so shocked that the United States was being attacked.

Q: Since 9/11, how has life changed for America?

A: I think everyone is more aware of terror alerts and foreign groups that can threaten us. We also wonder if there’s going to be another 9/11.

Ms. Shimel

Biology Teacher

Q: Where were you when 9/11 happened?

A: I was teaching my second period Biology class at Great Mills High School in southern Maryland.  My co-worker across the hall had told me that tower #1 was hit.  After that, we watched tower #2 and the Pentagon get hit on TV. I remember my students panicking because we were only about an hour south of the Pentagon, and a lot of them had parents or relatives that worked in the Pentagon.  We evacuated the school while being on lockdown at the same time.  I remember all of the highways being blocked and they had machine gun guards set up at each end of the highways.

Shimmel

Q: What were you thinking?

A: The United States was going to war.

Q: Since 9/11, how has life changed for you?

A: I’m more grateful and more thankful. I try to tell everyone how I feel about them because you really don’t know when the last time you’re going to see them is.

Q: How has it changed the country as a whole?

A: It has made people more fearful and more vulnerable. We are susceptible to terror. We’re afraid.

Mrs. Bartlett

English Teacher

Q: Where were you when 9/11 happened?

A: I was sitting in my living room folding laundry.  My six-month old daughter was taking a nap, and I just happened to be watching the news. That moment just sticks in my head, and I think it will forever.

Q: What were you thinking?

A: At first I was thinking “Did I just see that?” They showed it a couple more times until it finally hit me.  The first thing I did was call my husband to ask him if he heard what has happened. I was just in shock, it was unbelievable.

A: Personally, I am much more aware of the things that go on outside of our country.  Before, I never really considered it, but now it worries me a little bit.

A: The country is much more cautious and apprehensive of what could happen. Also, our safety is not taken for granted anymore, and people are really aware of what it means to be safe.

Mrs. Stinson

Math Teacher

Q: Where were you when 9/11 happened?

A: In my Oceanography class at Clarion College.  My professor’s technology was actually used to find people that were buried in New York City.

Q: What were you thinking?

A: I don’t remember, we were all in shock.  I was scared and nervous.

Stonson

A: I always have my guard up.  Things had to change to be protected.

A: I think our world is a scary place.  The changes since 9/11 have definitely protected us.