Football team set to sing the national anthem

Ms. Hull and the chorus spent fourth period Friday in the gym with Mr. Lovrich and the football team, preparing to sing the National Anthem tonight at Homecoming.

Joe Dorminy, News Editor

With tonight’s Homecoming football game cancelled, the Homecoming ceremony will look a little different.  Instead of the Homecoming court taking the field during halftime and the winner being announced then, the girls will have a special ceremony tonight at Memorial Field at 7 where a queen will be announced.

But the football team doesn’t have the night off. The players will help kick off tonight’s ceremony at Memorial Stadium when they sing the national anthem with the chorus.

I’ll be with the boys, and I am looking forward to doing something for our community.

— Preston Wilson

That’s right, the Bellwood-Antis Blue Devil football team will be belting out the famed lyrics of the Star Spangled Banner alongside the finest voices Bellwood has to offer.

“Doing this shows unity between the band, cheerleaders, chorus and football team,” said Coach Nick Lovrich, whose game scheduled for tonight was cancelled when a case of COVID-19 surfaced at Mount Union. “We only have a small part in the ceremony.  Tonight is about the girls.”

Everyone is hoping tonight goes well, especially the boys who will be singing in front of a large crowd without any prior performing experience; however, it won’t be the first time the football team has sung to an audience this year. Coach Lovrich began a new tradition this season where the team sings the alma mater together with the band and spectators following each game.

The players feel honored to do something for the school and community. 

One of the seniors, Preston Wilson, is very excited for the Homecoming ceremony.

“I’m not nervous to sing the alma mater at all,” he said.  “I’ll be with the boys, and I am looking forward to doing something for our community.”

Others worry their singing skills aren’t where they need to be.

“I’m not nervous at all because I am such a good singer,” said freshman Josh Dorminy.

The team had plenty of practice today, using fourth period to join with Ms. Hull’s choir to practice the song.

It’s not what Mrs. Stinson, Ms. Clippard and the rest of the Renaissance had in mind when preparing for Homecoming at the beginning of the week, but it’s a suitable substitute in a strange 2020.

“I do feel honored to take part in singing our national anthem for Homecoming, but I am a little disappointed that we are not having a Friday night game this week,” said senior Ty Noonan.

Ceremonies begin tonight at 6 p.m. following the parade.