Lady Blue Devils fall to rival Tyrone

Terry McCaulley

Chelsea McCaulsky scored 13 in a loss against Tyrone.

Owen Shedlock, Sports Editor

The Bellwood-Antis basketball team hosted Tyrone on Saturday afternoon looking to get their third win of the season. The Lady Eagles were riding an eight game winning streak.

Despite a furious second-half comeback that had the Lady Devils within shouting distance in the fourth quarter, B-A was unable to get over the hump and fell to Tyrone59-41. It was the Lady Devils’ first loss to their rivals since 2010.

Tyrone started out hot and jumped to a 15 point lead over the Blue Devils by the third quarter. At that point the fast-paced Lady Eagles looked gassed, and Bellwood was able to cut the lead down and bring the game within 5 points. Sophomore Chelsea McCaulsky hit a couple of shots in a row, including a long ranged 3 pointer she banked in while shooting off one foot. That made it 36-31.

Unfortunately, the girls were never able to take the lead. Following a timeout, Tyrone ran off 15 straight points to get their advantage up to 20 and put the game out of reach.

The Lady Blue Devils drop to 2-2.

Despite the loss, B-A still had three players in double figures, all of them underclassmen. McCaulsky led the team with 13, while Jayden McCracken and Alyson Partner each had 10.

The girls will be back on the court on Monday night as they take on Williamsburg at home.

The game will be livestreamed on Bellwood’s YouTube channel.

Good luck to the girls!

THURSDAY

The Lady Blue Devils hosted the Richland Rams Thursday in a tough senior night loss. The final score ended 56-49 but the Lady Devils didn’t go quietly.

Chelsea McCaulsky led the charge for the Blue Devils with 22 points and Jaidyn McCracken had 8. Richland was led by Bella Burke with 25 points and Jordyn Kinsey who added 17 points.

The Lady Blue Devils were down double digits at one point in the game but were able to turn it up with 6 minutes to go in the fourth quarter. They brought the game within 4 but after 3 perfect press breaks from the lady rams they stretched their lead back out. T

“I think by the end of the third quarter we knew we had to pick up the pace a little bit,” said sophomore Lydia Worthing. “We were playing pretty well at the beginning but we just weren’t pushing as hard as we could have been. I think we definitely would have won last night if we played like we did in the last 6 minutes of the game.”

McCracken credited the defense.

“I think our defense really stepped it up. We were able to get them to turn the ball over a good bit late in the game which gave a chance to take the lead. In the beginning of the game I think we were nervous<” she said. “It was our first  game since January 19th, so that played a definite role. If we played like we did the last 6 minutes the whole game, we had a chance.”