B-A football players read to Myers elementary students

Kimmy Bennett

Members of the B-A football team read with students at Myers and the middle school last Friday.

Johanna Heckman, Staff Writer

Every year before the football game celebrating Youth Night, the varsity team goes to Myers Elementary School and the Bellwood-Antis Middle School to read to students in grades K-6. 

This year was different because the varsity football game was cancelled due to COVID-related issue at Curwensville. This postponed Youth Night, but still the football players still kept their obligation to read to he younger students in Bellwood-Antis.

The team went to the schools Friday and it was an overwhelming success.

Senior Cooper Guyer thought it was a great experience meeting and reading to the elementary school kids. Having a positive impact on their days meant a lot, he said. 

Cooper said remembers when he was younger the excitement of the older players reading to him.

The tradition of promoting literacy through the football team has been going on for three years now. All the football players get an assigned classroom along with an age-appropriate book.

Quarterback Zach Pellegrine, a senior, read to Mrs. Fisher’s class. He said that it was a good feeling to see how excited they were to see the football players.

For Coach Nick Lovrich, the day-long event was a way to salvage a day that started with his team learning it would not play that night.

“The players are hitting it out of the park,” he said. “I have gotten so many positive comments from teachers who say our players are being excellent role models for young students. That’s a positive to come out of today.”