5 Bellwood Students inducted into NTHS

BAHS file photos

Five B-A students were inducted into the National Technical Honor Society. Clockwise from top right: Ashlyn Holby, Gabriella Musselman, Arrhen Gathagan, Lauren Rodland, Michael Kienzle.

Aarron Laird, Page Editor

Five Bellwood-Antis High School students were inducted into the National Technical Honor Society on March 23 at the Greater Altoona Career and Technology Center.

The students included:

• Arrhen Gathagan 12th Grade, Computer Programming
  • Michael Kienzle 12th Grade, Engineering Design Technology
  • Ashlyn Holby 12th Grade, Cosmetology
  • Gabriella Musselman 12th Grade, Health Occupations
  • Lauren Rodland 11th Grade, Dental Assistant

Both Ashlyn Holbey and Gabriella Musselman were returning inductees.

According to its website, the NTHS honors the achievements of top CTE students, provides close to $300,000 in scholarships annually, and strives to help connect education and industry to build a highly skilled workforce.

“I was able to attend the program last night, and I came away very impressed with the caliber of student selected to this society,” said B-A principal Mr. Richard Schreier. “The foundations of the Honor Society go beyond skilled trades, but focus on the 21st Century skills all citizens need to be successful and impactful on their community.  I value BAHS’s partnership with GACTC, which provides training for career ready graduates.  The biographies read during the induction program last evening were impressive, there were many outstanding career goals enabled by each student’s participation in a program at GACTC.”

The five seniors, Mr. Schreier said, already have plans to either begin or further their careers after high school.

Arrhen Gathagan: Currently doing a Co-op at Link

Michael Kienzle: Attending Penn College of Technology for a related Architectural Design

Ashlyn Holby: Currently works for a Salon with goals to advance her career with specific certifications

Gabriella Musselman: Plans to attend Mt. Aloysius for nursing

Guidance counselor Mrs. Danielle McNelis said the CTC provides opportunities for students whose future does not necessarily include attending college.

“When I talk to students about the future, the focus is always on CAREER planning, not college planning,” Mrs. McNelis said.  “We want students to explore careers and develop plans based on their career goals. IF that career goal requires further education, then obviously we’ll help them plan for that. However, there are many different avenues to success. Careers in the skilled trades are in high demand.

We have students who attend GACTC and also go to college to pursue further training and education. It really comes down to what their individual career plan is for the future.”

Congratulations to these five individuals for getting this high achievement.