Baseball team knocks off defending state champs

K. Naylor

Nick Kost was one of two pitchers to throw for B-A in its win over Tyrone, and the pair allowed only one earned run.

Zach Pellegrine, Sports Writer

On Saturday, the Blue Devil baseball team took on the Tyrone Golden Eagles in the Backyard Brawl in Bellwood.

With the help of the long ball, Bellwood was able to come out victorious against their cross-town rival, winning 6-4 against the defending PIAA champions.

After a slow offensive start that had the Blue Devils losing the game 3-0 in the fourth, Bellwood was able to rally in the bottom half of the inning, bringing across four runs, due in large part to Alex Kovac’s 3-run homerun.

Bellwood then held a two run lead going into the fifth inning, one they wouldn’t relinquish. After giving up one run to Tyrone in the fifth, Bellwood was able to answer with two of their own in the sixth inning on the strength of another bomb, this one from sophomore Zac Pier.

The Blue Devils were lights out in the field, with Nick Kost and Matt Berkowitz dominating on the mound. Berkowitz started the game on the mound, and in his two innings he gave up three hits and no earned runs. Kost relieved Berkowitz in the third inning, giving up one earned run in his five innings.

“It felt good to beat our cross town rival and hopefully build some momentum for the remainder of the season.” said Berkowitz.

The Devils improved to 3-5 with the win, before heading to face ICC foe West Branch yesterday in Morrisdale. B-A couldn’t keep the momentum going and lost 8-0, dropping them to 3-6 overall and 2-5 in conference.