Summer Reading Program available this summer

JoJo Caswell

Summer reading is returning this year, giving students the chance to earn extra credit for next year’s English classes.

Olivia Hess, Staff Writer

B-A’s English department is offering a reading activity for the first week of summer vacation to start the off-season with a slam.

Students who sign up will choose a book provided by the English department, before the end of the school year. The students will have a week to finish it.

Sponsored by the B-A Foundation, students will be able to join in the media center for a day during the first week of summer vacation. They can talk about their books in small groups, facilitated by teachers from the English department, and enjoy breakfast.

English department Chair and Summer Reading Program organizer, Mr. Kerry Naylor, hopes to draw a large number of attendees this summer.

“When I first started at B-A in 2006, summer reading was a huge part of the English program,” Mr. Naylor recalled, “It went away for a couple of years but we brought it back last year with more than fifty people signing up for books and thirty attending the book-talk session.”

Students who participate in this event earn five percent worth of extra credit in the first nine weeks of the following school year. Interested students should see Mr. Naylor, and more information will be available by the end of this week.