Net neutrality: the competition could be good

publicdomaintreasurehunter.com

A decision should be coming by the end of the month on the controversial issue of Internet neutrality.

Adam Osborne, Student Contributor

Net neutrality is basically the idea that the companies that provide you with internet (Internet Service Providers, or ISP’s) should treat all of you internet traffic, or packets of data, the same way.  The debate is whether or not the FCC should eliminate situations like paid prioritization, which is when companies pay their ISP to increase their speed, like Netflix did with Comcast and Verizon.

I am against net neutrality.  For one, I understand it puts smaller companies at a disadvantage because they can’t pay off ISP’s like Netflix or Google could.  However, it helps them for when they come along and offer lower prices, as people will flock to them.

If companies use large amounts of bandwidth like Netflix, then they most likely have the money to pay their ISP’s and should be allowed.

If companies use large amounts of bandwidth like Netflix, then they most likely have the money to pay their ISP’s and should be allowed.  It may monopolize the market, but it’s better than the government monopolizing it, given how ineffective it has been in the past at running businesses.  And like I stated before, newer companies can come along and offer lower prices to break the monopolies.

I’m okay with we, the users, sharing some of the so that we don’t have to face stricter laws under net neutrality.  After all, our economy is all about little government regulation.