Now’s the time for seniors to apply for college

Kerry Naylor

Seniors should consider applying to college early to increase their chance of acceptance.

Ali Wagner, Staff Writer

Although it might sound appealing to take a year off after you graduate, it might not be what is in your best interest. Applying to college early in your senior year might be right for you.

High school guidance counselor Mrs. Kathleen Butler said that a good way to apply to colleges is to try to apply to at least four different schools, and when you apply early, there is less competition.

Also, when applying, it is best to write a good essay, even if it is not required, she said.

“There aren’t many disadvantages to applying early, unless you are unsure that this (college life) is what you want, or unless you are making a hasty decision.” Mrs. Butler said.

In some cases, when you apply to college early, you can receive scholarships, like the College Match scholarship.

By starting to think earlier in your life about college, it helps relieve the stress of applying your senior year, and after.

Applying to college early increases your chance of acceptance. It is also good to apply for financial aid early as you are applying for college

Certainly, applying early to college isn’t for everyone. It can take up time and can require a lot of research. There are many benefits to applying to college early, where as there are some disadvantages.

When you start applying to colleges early, it lets colleges know that you are serious about going to their school.

“My oldest son had to apply to college early because the program he wanted was very competitive, taking only 40 students, He was one of the 40 selected,” said Mrs. Beth Zitterbart in the Attendance Office.

It is important to make sure that applying to colleges early is what you want for your future. Think about what you want for your future and go get it!