Blue Devils come out strong

Devils ride early lead to big win over the Trojans

Tierra Mahute

Jarrett Tanneyhill and the Blue Devils prepare to go in for one of their five touchdowns against Mount Union.

Christina Kowalski, Staff Writer

Friday night in Mount Union there was only one thing missing for the Blue Devils: a head coach on the sideline. Coach John Hayes was forced to coach from the press box after missing practice all week for medical reasons, leaving Assistant Coach Nick Lovrich in charge.

And there was another “first”: for the first time all season Bellwood-Antis got its offense rolling at the start of the game.

B-A jumped to a 14-0 lead and held off the Trojans for a 35-16 victory.

The Blue Devils started their scoring on the first drive of the game, marching 75 yards down the field in nine plays. Senior Jake Burch, who had a multiple touchdown night, ran the ball into the end zone from the one yard line putting Bellwood ahead 7-0. Kicker, Brendan Kowalski, had the extra point.

The opening touchdown drive put Bellwood-Antis somewhere it hadn’t been all season: ahead from the start of the game.

Bellwood was able to keep Mt. Union out of the end zone on its first drive, keeping its 7-0 lead.

Junior Ethan McGee said, “Our solid defensive game helped us win the game.”

When the Blue Devils got the ball back they utilized a wide open Jake Burch to score for a second time. Burch scored on a 70-yard pass from junior Jarrett Taneyhill putting the Blue Devils ahead 14-0.

“We were able to execute our plays on offense and we kept finding the end zone,” said McGee.

Mt. Union was ready to go after it got the ball for the second time. The Trojans drove 70 yards down the field, punching the ball into the end zone on a one yard quarterback sneak by freshman Quinton Posey. Doug Gearhart missed the extra point making the score 14-6.

The Blue Devils, especially junior McGee, wouldn’t let the Mt. Union touchdown get to their heads. On the Mt. Union kickoff McGee received the ball and ran 89 yards downfield for a kickoff return. McGee scored with 1:54 left in the first quarter, making it 21-6.

Neither Bellwood nor Mt. Union was able to make it into the end zone in the second quarter. Mt. Union had an opportunity for a touchdown, but Bellwood held them and forced them to kick a field goal. The 32-yard field goal by Doug Gearhart was good making the halftime score 21-9.

After halftime neither team came out with momentum and the scoreboard reflected it. Neither Bellwood nor Mt. Union was able to score leaving the score 21-9 at the end of the third quarter.

When the fourth quarter rolled around the Blue Devils wasted no time driving the ball toward the end zone.  After making it down to the four yard line the Devils were faced with a fourth down situation with two yards to go. B-A went for it and it ended up benefiting them. Duke Brunner ran the ball 4 yards into the end zone increasing the Blue Devils’ lead to 19.

Mt. Union was quick to answer with a 48 yard touchdown pass from Posey to Cole Wilson less than a minute after the Blue Devil touchdown. The Mt. Union touchdown made the score 28-16.

The Blue Devils wouldn’t let the scoring end there. Taneyhill went on to throw a 51 yard pass to Burch who would run into the end zone for his third touchdown of the night. Burch’s touchdown sealed the win for the Blue Devils making the final score 35-16.

The Blue Devils are now 3-2 overall and 2-0 in the Gold Division. Bellwood-Antis will be back in action this Friday when they travel to Everett.