College education should be free to all

Christina Hollen, Student Contributor

I believe college education should be free, the reasons being that everyone deserves an education and a chance to succeed in whatever they wish to do. And sadly, most American don’t get the opportunity.

What if the cure to cancer was trapped inside the mind of someone who could never go to college?

— Christina Hollen

For one, we as Americans have the amazing right to free high school education. And this has made us into the country we are today. But times are changing. You used to be able to go to high school and right after find a good job, but that’s just not the case anymore. Bernie Sanders once said that a college degree is a new high school diploma and we need to roll with the times and adapt.

In addiction, to adapting to new times, we also have to realize the hardships some people face. It’s sad to think some kids wont be able to pursue their dreams due to financial hardships. We, as a middle class, small town, rarely see this struggle. Money should not determine your future. Right now, there is 1.3 trillion dollars of debt in student loans, most of which wont be paid off for decades. These college students are graduating with a degree and the burden of a huge debt is already over their heads. We need to step back and look at it from a less fortunate American’s view.

All in all, I believe free college education would be an amazing thing that would benefit everyone. For one, education promotes growth and a stable economy. And two, it gives everyone an equal opportunity to succeed. We shouldn’t let a green piece of paper keep us from pursuing our dreams.

Many people may oppose free college education, but what if the cure to cancer was trapped inside the mind of someone who could never go to college?