Get your children vaccinated

Kala Wooten

Vaccinations keep children safe.

Kala Wooten, Student Contributor

As a more technologically advanced society, it has always been seen as a necessity to have your children vaccinated from several different types of diseases.  But, as we have seen across major news headlines, parents have been withholding their children from being vaccinated because of the fear of “dangerous” outcomes.  So which decision keeps children safe, vaccinating them, or not?

According to the article “Vaccine Laws” published by the National Vaccine Information Center, “By 2014, the CDC (the Centers for Disease Control) recommended that children get 69 doses of 16 vaccines between day of birth and age 18. Most states mandate that children get 29 doses of nine vaccines to attend kindergarten with children enrolled in daycare in many states required to get multiple doses of 13 vaccines.”  The CDC is the leading national public health institute in the United States, created to protect the people of our country and keep us safe from things that could endanger us.  So, if the CDC recommends that vaccines be given, and states make it a law that some vaccines be administered to all students, how can parents believe vaccines are putting their children in danger?  Not only are “dangerous” outcomes extremely rare (about 1 per several hundred thousand), vaccines are much more beneficial than detrimental.  According to the article, “Five Important Reasons to Vaccinate your Child” published by vaccines.gov, vaccinations are important because they can save your child’s life, are very safe and effective, protect others you care about, can save your family time and money, and can protect future generations.  With all of these benefits vaccinations bring, including saving lives, how could you not believe vaccinating your child is the right thing to do? 

It is understandable to want to protect your child from possible “dangerous” outcomes, but completely ridiculous to leave your child vulnerable to many dangerous and fatal diseases.

Parents today are starting to question the safety of vaccines, as previously stated, and exempting their children from receiving their vaccination shots. The article “Herd Immunity: Three Reasons Why I Don’t Vaccinate My Children… And Why Vaccine Supporters Shouldn’t Care That I Use Vaccine Exemption Forms” published by The People’s Chemist and written by the medicinal chemist Shane Ellison states, “According to fact sheets put out by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Food & Drug Administration (FDA), vaccines are brimming with toxins.”  Parents believe that the ingredients that create a vaccine will somehow harm their children and produce dangerous effects.  When thought through logically though, the extremely small risk that something bad would result from a child’s vaccination does not compare to the huge risk that comes with an exemption from vaccinations.  Without vaccinations, children are vulnerable to a whole slew of all kinds of -dangerous or even fatal diseases.  The choice should be obvious: vaccinating your children is the most logical way to protect them.