Blue Devils win ICC title

Davis scores 36; B-A holds Indians scoreless over last four minutes

Kerry Naylor

Coach Brent Gerwert got the kind of defensive effort he was hoping for in the Devils’ ICC championship victory.

Christina Kowalski, Sports/Social Media Editor

After being down 13-3 early in the first quarter, the Blue Devils came back and put on a show in an amazing 60-45 victory over Southern Fulton Saturday in the ICC championship game at Claysburg-Kimmel High School.

Last year the Blue Devils lost to Southern Fulton in the ICC Championship, so coming out this year it was all about redemption.

“It felt good to get redemption for last year. We were the underdog and no one thought we could beat them (Southern Fulton),” said junior Ethan McGee.

At the start of the game the Southern Fulton Indians had everything going right for them, while Bellwood-Antis was unable to keep their hands on the ball. Late in the first quarter things finally started to click for B-A as they went on a 5-2 run and cut the Indians lead to seven.

“I think we were a bit shell-shocked at the beginning of the game, we came out playing timid and that’s not our style,” said Nathan Davis.

In the second quarter roles switched as the Indians turned the ball over, while Bellwood did the scoring and continued their first half comeback. When Nathan Davis drained a three that put B-A ahead 23-22, the team started playing as one, shutting the Indians down on defense to go ahead 29-23 at the half.

Davis also said, “Once a few shots started to fall we were able to get our momentum and swagger back. Once we get our Momentum rolling like that were a heard team to stop.”

In the third quarter, Davis came out and hit a three almost immediately, but then B-A slowed down again. They had only scored 5 points to Southern Fulton’s 9 as they saw their lead cut to just two points. Heading into the final quarter B-A was only up 39-37.

Southern Fulton started the fourth quarter with the ball, but after a missed shot B-A went on a 4-0 run that put them ahead 43-37. It was 48-43 midway through the fourth quarter, but the Blue Devils finished the game on a 12-0 run to bring home the title.

Davis was the leading scorer with 36 points, followed by Jarret Taneyhill and Joe Padula, who each had 8 points. Taneyhill also added 8 blocks to the team’s solid defense.

“We need to bring a lot of energy starting on Friday with playoffs if we want to go out and win,” added Davis.

The Blue Devils next game will be Friday in the first round of the District 6-AA tournament. A site and opponent has yet to be determined. The No. 1-seeded Devils await the winner of tonight’s first-round game between Central Cambria and Richland.