Lady Devils ready for playoffs

Abbey+Crider+drives+to+the+basket+

Christina Kowalski

Abbey Crider drives to the basket

Christina Kowalski, Sports/Social Media Editor

After defeating Everett 59-52 in the ICC Championship, the Lady Blue Devils are set to take on Ligonier Valley at Central Cambria tonight in the first round of the PIAA District 6 Playoffs.  The game is set to tipoff at 6:30.

Bellwood-Antis, which is 19-4, is entering the tournament as the 5 seed, but you can’t count them out.  B-A beat Tyrone, the number two seed, and Penns Valley, the number three seed, during the regular season, and is ready to take on anyone.

“I think we have a very good chance of winning.  We’ve been working very hard at practice and it’s going to pay off,” said freshman Riley D’Angelo.

Last year B-A made it to the finals, but lost to Bishop McCort, the number one seed this year. The Lady Blue Devils could face McCort again, but this year it would be in the semi-finals.

“We need to communicate with each other and trust each other.  We need to play good defense and make the shots we put up in order to win,” said Tina Hollen.

The team is led offensively by junior Karson Swogger, who averages 29 points per game, and freshman Riley D’Angelo, who averages 14 points per game.

Caroline Showalter and Sophie Damiano take care of business on the defensive side of the ball.  Showalter averages 7.4 rebounds per game and Damiano leads the team with 14 blocks so far this year.